Standards and Memberships
The California Digital Library partners with the University of California's campus libraries and other organizations to build and maintain a shared digital collection and a digital services infrastructure.
Through active memberships in several organizations, the CDL contributes to the development of digital libraries. Staff members participate in the definition of technical standards that support digital library activities, collections, and services.
The CDL is a member of:
- Coalition for Networked Information
- Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR)
- Digital Library Federation (DLF)
- Hathi Trust
- International Coalition of Library Consortia (ICOLC)
- National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
- OCLC Online Computer Library Center
- Open Content Alliance
- RLG Programs
- Scholarly Publishing Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC)
CDL staff contributes to multiple standards development efforts; current and past contributions include:
- ACRL Scholarly Communications Committee: CDL staff (John Ober) previously served as committee co-chair.
- DLF Aquifer: CDL staff (Laine Farley) previously served on the Implementation Working Group.
- DLF Developers Forum: CDL staff (John Kunze) chaired the Developers Forum (now Roundtable) for three years.
- Dublin Core and Kernel Metadata: CDL staff (John Kunze) serving on Dublin Core Advisory Board, overseeing the NISO committee for Z39.85, and publishing Internet RFCs for Dublin Core (RFC2413, RFC2731, RFC5013), and chairing the Kernel Metadata community and task group within the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI).
- ISO WARC File Format: CDL staff (John Kunze) serving on the Technical Committee and chairing the Standards Working Group of the International Internet Preservation Consortium (IIPC).
- Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard (METS): CDL staff (Brian Tingle) serving on the editorial board.
- National Libraries Web Crawling: CDL staff (Stephen Abrams) serving on the Steering Committee of the International Internet Preservation Consortium (IIPC).
- NISO Business Information Topic Committee: CDL staff (Ivy Anderson) serving on the steering committee.
- NISO Institutional Identifiers Working Group: CDL staff (John Kunze) serving on this group.
- NISO MetaSearch Initiative: CDL staff previously served on the Search/Retrieve committee.
- Open Archives Initiative (OAI): CDL staff (John Ober) previously served on the steering committee.
- OpenURL: CDL staff previously served on the NISO Development Committee.
- Preservation Metadata: Implementation Strategies (PREMIS): CDL staff (John Kunze) previously served on the working group.
- RLG Research Information Management: CDL staff (Catherine Mitchell) serving on the Changing Roles of Library Staff Working Group.
- Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC): CDL staff (John Ober) previously served on the steering committee.
- Scholarly Publishing & Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC): CDL staff (Catherine Mitchell) serving on the Editorial Board of the SPARC Bibliography and Resource List.