Pamela Daniels Retires

By Felicia Poe, CDL Assessment, Design & Production Manager

Please join me in bidding farewell and good luck to our CDL colleague, Pamela Daniels, who has announced her retirement from the University of California.

Pam was recruited by the CDL Digital Library Services Group from her UC Berkeley post in August 2001 in order to assist the team working on the transition of the Melvyl® Catalog to the Ex Libris ALEPH software platform.  Upon her arrival, she assumed the role of bibliographic analyst, in support of the development of the Melvyl database and user interface.  Pam’s original assignment was expected to last just one year, but she quickly proved herself to be an invaluable addition to the CDL, and her temporary assignment was repeatedly extended, until her leave in late 2006.

During her CDL tenure, Pam quickly gained the respect of her colleagues, and her assistance was frequently requested.  Besides her significant contributions to the Melvyl Operations Team, Pam held a position on the CDL Web Production Team, providing her with the opportunity to contribute to user interface development on the Metasearch Project, Counting California, the Image Service Project, OAC, the American West Project, Calisphere, and the decommissioning of the CDL Directory of Licensed Content.  Pam also contributed to the CDL through her role as CDL Staff Council convener.

Pam began working at UC Berkeley Libraries in July 1975 while still an undergraduate student at UC Berkeley. After graduating, she accepted a career position at the UCB Government Documents Department in 1979, and then moved to the Periodicals Department (1982), the Serials Department (1984), and later, Technical Services.  Before joining CDL in 2001, Pam was the Assistant Head of the Monographic Processing and Cataloging Division of the UCB Library.

All of us who had the honor and pleasure to work with Pam know that she brought great pride and expertise to her work. We will miss her warm and joyful presence, and wish her the very best.