By Jayne Dickson, CDL Information Services Analyst
Previously, UC had licensed the Landolt-Börnstein content (data collection in all areas of physical sciences and engineering) from Springer-Verlag. At the beginning of 2010, Springer introduced a new database (SpringerMaterials: The Landolt-Börnstein Database) to showcase the Landolt-Börnstein New Series content. However, due to an increase in cost and potential changes to negotiated licensed terms, the Collections Development Committee (CDC) re-evaluated the subscription options to the Landolt-Börnstein materials, and the group subsequently decided that it was too costly to provide systemwide access to the new database.
The cancellation of the Springer subscription does not result in a loss of content as, due to the negotiated license terms in the original contract, UC continues to have access to the archival content via Portico (a digital preservation service of ITHAKA).
The Portico platform is available at http://uclibs.org/PID/168793. On Portico, click the E-BOOK TITLES 387 (center) tab to see the list of archival Landolt-Börnstein files. At the present time, the titles are arranged alphabetically. In the near future, CDL will implement separate web pages on the CDL web site (http://www.cdlib.org) to list the titles under their original Landolt-Börnstein series groupings:
- Landolt-Börnstein – Group I Elementary Particles, Nuclei and Atoms
- Landolt-Börnstein – Group II Molecules and Radicals
- Landolt-Börnstein – Group III Condensed Matter
- Landolt-Börnstein – Group IV Physical Chemistry
- Landolt-Börnstein – Group V Geophysics
- Landolt-Börnstein – Group VI Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Landolt-Börnstein – Group VII Biophysics
- Landolt-Börnstein – Group VIII Advanced Materials and Technologies
The Shared Cataloging Program (SCP) is in the process of cataloging the individual titles so these will be appearing in local OPACs and in Next Gen Melvyl instances soon.
Check with your campus CDC representative if you have questions or concerns about the cancellation of this resource.