Recent Enhancements, News, and Activities
- UCLA Storage. We are working with the new UCLA storage service in order to include it as part of the Merritt storage service, so that we’ll have replication at both SDSC as well as UCLA. Although a greater distance between replicas is desirable, this geographic replication provides a robust buffer in case of a disaster. We passed a significant milestone in the move from the UCOP Data Center to our storage nodes at SDSC and UCLA; we set up storage nodes in production and moved some objects. We are still working on a schedule for moving all of the content, and will distribute the schedule as soon as it is available.
- Cost Model. We continue to work with the UCOP Business Office to get approval for charging for the Merritt service. However, we anticipate that this additional UCLA replication will raise the projected cost of the Merritt service, but thanks to the reasonable cost of the new UCLA storage service, it’s only a modest increase.
- Dash is an area with a lot of activity. You’ll find more information about Dash here: https://github.com/CDLUC3/dash/wiki.
- Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETDs). We have had discussions with a number of campuses in the past few weeks regarding Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETDs). A lot of the discussion has been about embargo periods for publication in eScholarship. One issue is that there is no date recorded in the ProQuest metadata for when the degree was actually granted. This makes it difficult to determine an exact end to an embargo, and in order to err on the side of caution, means that an ETD may be withheld from publication in eScholarship 6-8 months after an embargo has actually expired. We are working with campus librarians and with ProQuest to try to resolve this issue.
Merritt Service Description
Merritt is a production level service that provides the UC community with an easy to use tool to manage, archive, and share their content. Content can be deposited and managed via a user-interface or an API.
Merritt Service Manager
- Perry Willett firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact us with any questions or general correspondence.
Service Monitoring and Availability
Check CDL’s system status page at http://www.cdlib.org/contact/system.html.