On June 3rd, the WEST Executive Committee and Operations and Collections Council convened to review member feedback from the recent program assessment and plan for WEST’s future beyond 2016. A final report with outcomes from that meeting is available on the WEST website for members to review.
Several changes were recommended to ensure that the WEST program transitions successfully to a fully-member supported program by 2016 and continues to provide greatest value to members. Highlights include recommendations to:
- Focus on higher risk, print only titles with lower duplication in the region, while continuing to archive digitally available titles
- Explore options for digitizing print only backfiles in collaboration with publishers
- Reduce the pace of archiving to 37,750 volumes for Silver/Gold per year
- Conduct collections analyses every two years and stage 2 years worth of archiving work from those analyses
- Adjust the cost-sharing model to establish fixed tiers for member fees; steadily increase member fees to replace grant funds
These recommendations and more will be fully explored during fall 2014 by WEST’s committees and proposed to WEST members for consideration.