Selected publications written by CDL staff:
- CDL Annual Report 2013-2014 [PDF]
- CDL Annual Report 2012-2013 [PDF]
- CDL Annual Report 2011-2012 [PDF]
- 2008 Annual Report [PDF]
- 2000–Spring 2001 Progress Report [PDF]
- 1999–Spring 2000 Progress Report [PDF]
- 1997–1998 Progress Report [PDF]
- Shared Print Programs, SPEC Kit 345, by Rebecca Crist and Emily Stambaugh, December 2014
- Data Management for Libraries: A LITA Guide, by Carly A. Strasser and Laura Krier, 2014
The following articles provide insight into the California Digital Library and its programs and initiatives. Most have been written by CDL staff.
- The ARK Identifier Scheme: Lessons Learnt at the BnF and Questions Logo for the BnFYet Unanswered [PDF], by John Kunze et al., Journal for the DCMI International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications, December 2014.
- Achieving human and machine accessibility of cited data in scholarly publications [PDF], by Joan Starr, John Kratz et al., PeerJ, December 16, 2014.
- Data publication consensus and controversies [PDF], by John Kratz and Carly Strasser, F1000Research, November 6, 2014.
- Recommendations for the Role of Publishers in Access to Data [PDF], by Carly Strasser and Jennifer Lin, PLOS Biology, October 28, 2014.
- Come together -- A common vocabulary for University of California library homepages [PDF], by Susan Mikkelsen, Kristine Ferry, Rachael Hu, Brian Mathews, Deborah A. Murphy, ACRL TechConnect/C&RL News, June 2011.
- HathiTrust; A Research Library at Web Scale [PDF], by Heather Christenson, Library Resources & Technical Services, Vol. 55, No. 2, 2011.
- Heading West: Circling the Wagons to Ensure Preservation and Access [PDF], by Emily Stambaugh, Against the Grain, November 2010.
- University of California Shared Image Collections: Convergence and Expansion [PDF], by Lena Zentall, CDL, and Maureen Burns, UCI.
- Preservation Is Not a Place, by Stephen Abrams, Patricia Cruse, and John Kunze, International Journal of Digital Curation.
- iPRES 2009: the Sixth International Conference on Preservation of Digital Objects, Conference Proceedings by California Digital Library, UC Office of the President, October 5-6, 2009.
- An Emergent Micro-Services Approach to Digital Curation Infrastructure, by Stephen Abrams, John Kunze, and David Loy, International Journal of Digital Curation (in press).
- The Library of Congress National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program, by Patricia Cruse and Beth Sandore, Library Trends, 57:3 (2009): 301-314. [Find it at your library]
- The Web-at-Risk at Three: Overview of an NDIIPP Web Archiving Initiative, by Tracy Seneca, Library Trends, 57:3 (2009): 427- 441. [Find it at your library]
- Creating the Mark Twain Project Online., by Lisa R. Schiff, Learned Publishing, Volume 22, Number 3, July 2009, pp. 191-198(8).
- 'What? So what?': The Next-Generation JHOVE2 Architecture for Format-Aware Characterization, by Stephen Abrams, Sheila Morrissey, and Tom Cramer, International Journal of Digital Curation 4:3 (2009) 123-136.
- Preservation is Not a Place [PDF], by Stephen Abrams, Patricia Cruse and John Kunze, International Journal of Digital Curation, 4:1 (2009): 8-21
- Mass Digitization and its Impact on Interlending and Document Supply, by Perry Willett, Interlending and Document Supply 37:3 (2009): 143-148. [Find it at your library]
- Advancing Scholarship through Digital Critical Editions: Mark Twain Project Online, by Lisa R. Schiff, ELPUB2008, Open Scholarship: Authority, Community, and Sustainability in the Age of Web 2.0 - Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Electronic Publishing held in Toronto, Canada 25-27 June 2008 / Edited by: Leslie Chan and Susanna Mornati. pp. 378-389.
- Whither the Web: How Libraries can Preserve Our Digital Cultural Heritage, by Tracy Seneca, In: Deidre Irwin Ross (Ed.), Issues in Librarianship: Presented Papers at the ALA 2008 Annual Conference. Chicago: American Library Association, 2008. [Find it at your library]
- University of California Shared Image Collections: Convergence and Expansion [PDF], by Lena Zentall and Maureen Burns, VRA Bulletin, 35: 2 (Summer 2008): 56-68 (special issue of the Visual Resources Association Bulletin on Digital Collaborations).
- Heather Christenson and Sherry Willhite, "Section IV: Working with Electronic Resources. Chapter XI: Working with Database and E-Journal Vendors to Ensure Quality for End Users," In Yu, Holly, and Scott Breivold. Electronic Resource Management in Libraries: Research and Practice. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 2008.
- Committing to Memory: A Project to Publish and Preserve California Local History Digital Resources, by Adrian L. Turner, Journal of Archival Organization, Volume 4, Issue 1&2, April, 2007, pp 11-27. [Find it at your library]
- The Melvyl Recommender Project: Developing Library Recommendation Services, by Colleen Whitney and Lisa Schiff, D-Lib Magazine. 12 No. 12 (December 2006)
- A Handful of Things, by Isaac Mankita, Ellen Meltzer, and James Harris, D-Lib Magazine, May 2006
- Facilitating open access: Developing support for author control of copyright, by John Ober, C&RL News, April 2006
- A bibliographic metadata infrastructure for the twenty-first century, by Roy Tennant, Library Hi Tech, 2004
- Digital Images Come of Age, by Laine Farley, Syllabus Magazine, May 2004
- Fat Cat Publishers Breaking the System, by Catherine Candee, Syllabus Magazine, May 2004
- Make Sure You Are Privacy Literate, by Karen Coyle, Library Journal, October 1, 2002
- Institutional Repositories, by Roy Tennant, Library Journal, September 2002
- Museums in the Online Archive of California (MOAC): Building Digital Collections Across Libraries and Museums, by Robin Chandler, First Monday, May 2002
- Counting California: Government Information Access Made Easy [PDF], by Patricia Cruse, Connection, January 2002
- The California Digital Library and the eScholarship Program [PDF], by Catherine Candee, Journal of Library Administration, 2001
- Digital Libraries — Cross-Database Search: One-Stop Shopping, by Roy Tennant, Library Journal, October 2001
- Digital Libraries — The Other E-Books, by Roy Tennant, Library Journal, September 2001
- The Digital Library Triumvirate: Content, Collaboration, and Technology, Syllabus Magazine, May 2001
- The Virtual Union Catalog: A Comparative Study, by Karen Coyle, D-Lib Magazine, March 2000
- John Ober. "The California Digital Library." D-Lib Magazine Vol. 5, no. 3. March 1999