Selected publications written by CDL staff:
- CDL Annual Report 2011-2012
- 2008 Annual Report [PDF]
- 2000–Spring 2001 Progress Report [PDF]
- 1999–Spring 2000 Progress Report [PDF]
- 1997–1998 Progress Report [PDF]
The following articles provide insight into the California Digital Library and its programs and initiatives. Most have been written by CDL staff.
- University of California Shared Image Collections: Convergence and Expansion [PDF]
- Local, Sustainable, and Organic Publishing: A Library-Press Collaboration at the University of California, by Catherine A. Mitchell and Laura Cerruti, Against the Grain.
- Preservation Is Not a Place, by Stephen Abrams, Patricia Cruse, and John Kunze, International Journal of Digital Curation.
- iPRES 2009: the Sixth International Conference on Preservation of Digital Objects, Conference Proceedings by California Digital Library, UC Office of the President, October 5-6, 2009.
- An Emergent Micro-Services Approach to Digital Curation Infrastructure, by Stephen Abrams, John Kunze, and David Loy, International Journal of Digital Curation (in press).
- The Library of Congress National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program, by Patricia Cruse and Beth Sandore, Library Trends, 57:3 (2009): 301-314. [Find it at your library]
- The Web-at-Risk at Three: Overview of an NDIIPP Web Archiving Initiative, by Tracy Seneca, Library Trends, 57:3 (2009): 427- 441. [Find it at your library]
- Creating the Mark Twain Project Online., by Lisa R. Schiff, Learned Publishing, Volume 22, Number 3, July 2009, pp. 191-198(8).
- 'What? So what?': The Next-Generation JHOVE2 Architecture for Format-Aware Characterization, by Stephen Abrams, Sheila Morrissey, and Tom Cramer, International Journal of Digital Curation 4:3 (2009) 123-136.
- Local, Sustainable, and Organic Publishing: A Library-Press Collaboration at the University of California [PDF], by Catherine A. Mitchell & Laura Cerruti,Against the Grain, December 2008-January 2009
- Preservation is Not a Place [PDF], by Stephen Abrams, Patricia Cruse and John Kunze, International Journal of Digital Curation, 4:1 (2009): 8-21
- Mass Digitization and its Impact on Interlending and Document Supply, by Perry Willett, Interlending and Document Supply 37:3 (2009): 143-148. [Find it at your library]
- Advancing Scholarship through Digital Critical Editions: Mark Twain Project Online, by Lisa R. Schiff, ELPUB2008, Open Scholarship: Authority, Community, and Sustainability in the Age of Web 2.0 - Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Electronic Publishing held in Toronto, Canada 25-27 June 2008 / Edited by: Leslie Chan and Susanna Mornati. pp. 378-389.
- Whither the Web: How Libraries can Preserve Our Digital Cultural Heritage, by Tracy Seneca, In: Deidre Irwin Ross (Ed.), Issues in Librarianship: Presented Papers at the ALA 2008 Annual Conference. Chicago: American Library Association, 2008. [Find it at your library]
- University of California Shared Image Collections: Convergence and Expansion [PDF], by Lena Zentall and Maureen Burns, VRA Bulletin, 35: 2 (Summer 2008): 56-68 (special issue of the Visual Resources Association Bulletin on Digital Collaborations).
- Heather Christenson and Sherry Willhite, "Section IV: Working with Electronic Resources. Chapter XI: Working with Database and E-Journal Vendors to Ensure Quality for End Users," In Yu, Holly, and Scott Breivold. Electronic Resource Management in Libraries: Research and Practice. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 2008.
- Committing to Memory: A Project to Publish and Preserve California Local History Digital Resources, by Adrian L. Turner, Journal of Archival Organization, Volume 4, Issue 1&2, April, 2007, pp 11-27. [Find it at your library]
- The Melvyl Recommender Project: Developing Library Recommendation Services, by Colleen Whitney and Lisa Schiff, D-Lib Magazine. 12 No. 12 (December 2006)
- A Handful of Things, by Isaac Mankita, Ellen Meltzer, and James Harris, D-Lib Magazine, May 2006
- Facilitating open access: Developing support for author control of copyright, by John Ober, C&RL News, April 2006
- A bibliographic metadata infrastructure for the twenty-first century, by Roy Tennant, Library Hi Tech, 2004
- Digital Images Come of Age, by Laine Farley, Syllabus Magazine, May 2004
- Fat Cat Publishers Breaking the System, by Catherine Candee, Syllabus Magazine, May 2004
- Make Sure You Are Privacy Literate, by Karen Coyle, Library Journal, October 1, 2002
- Institutional Repositories, by Roy Tennant, Library Journal, September 2002
- Museums in the Online Archive of California (MOAC): Building Digital Collections Across Libraries and Museums, by Robin Chandler, First Monday, May 2002
- Counting California: Government Information Access Made Easy [PDF], by Patricia Cruse, Connection, January 2002
- The California Digital Library and the eScholarship Program [PDF], by Catherine Candee, Journal of Library Administration, 2001
- Digital Libraries — Cross-Database Search: One-Stop Shopping, by Roy Tennant, Library Journal, October 2001
- Digital Libraries — The Other E-Books, by Roy Tennant, Library Journal, September 2001
- The Digital Library Triumvirate: Content, Collaboration, and Technology, Syllabus Magazine, May 2001
- The Virtual Union Catalog: A Comparative Study, by Karen Coyle, D-Lib Magazine, March 2000
- John Ober. "The California Digital Library." D-Lib Magazine Vol. 5, no. 3. March 1999