Submitting METS Digital Objects
Institutions can contribute image-based METS digital objects (TIFF, JPEG, and GIF) and text-based METS digital objects (TEI, PDF, or imaged text). Files must conform to the CDL Guidelines for Digital Objects -- see Section 3, "Enhanced Service Level" specifications.
This page provides brief information about the METS submission process for ready reference. Before starting, please contact a DSC staff member at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in contributing METS digital objects.
Overview of the Process for New Collections
- Complete a Collection Profile Worksheet and return it to the CDL at email@example.com.
- A CDL Digital Special Collections representative will contact your institution to review the information that you provided, describe the CDL's requirements for METS digital objects, and discuss strategies for preparing and submitting your collections to the CDL.
- If your institution's collections are approved by the CDL for inclusion within Calisphere and OAC, you will be notified by your CDL representative.
- If your institution does not have an existing agreement on file, complete a CDL/UC Libraries Digital Assets Submission Agreement [PDF] and an associated CDL/UC Libraries Digital Assets Submission Inventory [RTF] (the latter will be partially prepared by your CDL representative, based on your initial discussions):
- Prepare two copies of the Agreement, indicating either license option 3.1 or 3.2 (choose one option only). Each copy must be signed in original by a representative who is authorized to enter into legal agreements for your institution (e.g., the director of your institution).
- Complete the copy of the Inventory prepared by your CDL representative.
- Send the documents to us at the following address:
California Digital Library
ATTN: Licensing Department
415 20th Street, 4th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612-2901
- Upon acceptance, we will countersign and return one original copy of the Agreement.
- Additionally, e-mail a copy of the completed Inventory to your CDL representative.
- Publication of METS conforming to existing profiles take approximately 2 weeks to appear in Calisphere and the OAC.
- Publication of METS conforming to new profiles may require up to a 6 month timeframe, from submission of finalized versions of the METS.
Obtain Submitted Files
Contact the CDL to obtain copies of your submitted METS files.
Removing Files from Publication
To remove a METS file from publication once it has been successfully submitted, contact the CDL and supply ARK URL or the file name for the file.
Edit, Replace, and Rename METS Files
METS files may be replaced or edited, using the same procedures for submitting new METS files. Editing includes changes or amplifications to the metadata or content files. When replacing a METS file, ensure that the ARK URL and file name for the new file matches the file to be replaced.
Alternatively, you can edit metadata for your digital objects using our Metadata Editor bookmarklet, available through your OAC Contributor Dashboard.