Submitting METS Digital Objects
Institutions can contribute image-based METS digital objects (TIFF, JPEG, and GIF) and text-based METS digital objects (TEI, PDF, or imaged text). Files must conform to the CDL Guidelines for Digital Objects -- see Section 3, "Enhanced Service Level" specifications.
This page provides brief information about the METS submission process for ready reference. Before starting, please contact a DSC staff member at email@example.com if you are interested in contributing METS digital objects.
Overview of the Process for New Collections
- Complete a Collection Profile Worksheet and return it to the CDL at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A CDL Digital Special Collections representative will contact your institution to review the information that you provided, describe the CDL's requirements for METS digital objects, and discuss strategies for preparing and submitting your collections to the CDL.
- If your institution's collections are approved by the CDL for inclusion within Calisphere and OAC, you will be notified by your CDL representative.
- If your institution does not have an existing agreement on file with us, complete a CDL Digital Special Collections Service Agreement [PDF]. A pre-completed version of this form will be provided to you by your CDL representative. The agreement must be completed and signed by a representative who is authorized to enter into legal agreements for your institution (e.g., the director of your institution). Send the completed agreement using the following options:
- Print and mail hard copies: Print two copies of the agreement and sign both of them. Mail the copies to us at:
California Digital Library
ATTN: Licensing Department
415 20th Street, 4th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612-2901
- Print and e-mail as PDF: Print and sign a copy of the agreement. Convert it to PDF, and e-mail the copy to us at email@example.com
- Prepare a small sample of representative METS files. METS files must conform to valid METS profiles, which must be declared during pre-submission discussions with CDL staff. You may chose to use currently supported profiles, or a non-supported but registered profile. Note that using a currently supported profile significantly streamlines the ingest process.
- Publication of METS conforming to existing profiles take approximately 2 weeks to appear in Calisphere and the OAC.
- Publication of METS conforming to new profiles may require up to a 6 month timeframe, from submission of finalized versions of the METS.
Obtain Submitted Files
Contact the CDL to obtain copies of your submitted METS files.
Removing Files from Publication
To remove a METS file from publication once it has been successfully submitted, contact the CDL and supply ARK URL or the file name for the file.
Edit, Replace, and Rename METS Files
METS files may be replaced or edited, using the same procedures for submitting new METS files. Editing includes changes or amplifications to the metadata or content files. When replacing a METS file, ensure that the ARK URL and file name for the new file matches the file to be replaced.
Alternatively, you can edit metadata for your digital objects using our Metadata Editor bookmarklet, available through your OAC Contributor Dashboard.