WEST: Toward a Western Regional Storage Trust
The Western Regional Storage Trust (WEST) is an initiative to organize a distributed print repository service among research libraries in the western region of the United States. The initial focus of WEST will be on consolidating and validating retrospective print journal backfiles. This collaborative regional approach to managing print archives is envisioned within the context of other national or network-level efforts.
The service is currently in the planning phase, supported by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. The planning phase runs for 9 months from October 2009 through June 2010 and will bring together library leaders in the Western Region to:
- design operating, governance, and business models to support cooperation among diverse partners,
- establish standards for low-level validation and disclosure, and
- develop selection criteria incorporating risk management principles within the context of broader national and international efforts to ensure persistence of the scholarly record.
Institutions currently participating in the planning phase for WEST include:
Arizona State University
California Digital Library (CDL)
California Institute of Technology
The Claremont Colleges
Getty Research Institute Library
Greater Western Library Alliance (GWLA)
Orbis Cascade Alliance
Oregon State University
Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium (SCELC)
University of Arizona
University of California
University of Oregon
University of Washington
Washington State University
The University of California serves as host for the project. For more information, contact a member of the core UC project team:
Brian E. C. Schottlaender, UC San Diego
Ivy Anderson, California Digital Library
Lizanne Payne, Project Consultant
Sherrie Schmidt, Arizona State University
Emily Stambaugh, California Digital Library
Additional information about the project will be posted here as it becomes available.
- "Heading West: Circling the Wagons to Ensure Preservation and Access." This is an advance copy of an article to be published in Against the Grain (November, 2010) [PDF]. Please cite appropriately, once published.
- West Meeting 1 Background Document [PDF]
- WEST Meeting 1 Summary [DOC]
- WEST Overview [PPT]
- Full list of committees and working groups [DOC]