The CDL Licensing Toolkit is designed to assist you with the negotiations and licensing process; it is intended for University of California staff only. If you are working with a publisher who needs information about the licensing process, please refer the publisher to the Information Gateway for Vendors.
- Standard License Agreement: Provides an overview of the preferred terms for all UC licenses.
- License Agreement Checklist: Points that must be addressed in a CDL or UC license.
- Letter of Intent [RTF]: Once negotiations are agreed upon, use a "Letter of Intent" to provide a written agreement to the vendor to license a product and gain access before the formal contract is signed.
- International Consortium of Library Consortia (ICOLC): The California Digital Library strongly supports and prefers that vendors follow the ICOLC guidelines for the licensing of electronic information, statistical measures of usage, and privacy.
Cost Share Models
- Cost-Sharing Models [DOC]: Principles underlying the cost sharing model for co-funding electronic resources as endorsed by the Joint Steering Committee on Shared Collections (JSC) and the Collection Development Committee (CDC).
- Current Year Standard Shares [XLS]: Lists the campus percentage shares recommended by the JSC.
- Carnegie Classifications: CDL uses pricing models based on the Carnegie Classification of Institutes of Higher Education.
- UC Enrollment Data : Current UC year-average data for use with pricing models based on full-time equivalent enrollments (FTE).
- Technical guidelines for vendors: Includes information about major technical issues, CDL's preferred solutions, and the implications for vendors.
How to Manage a Tier 2 License
Tier 2 licenses are initiated by campus library staff. They are multi-campus contracts for electronic resources that are negotiated and signed by a sponsoring campus, and are funded by participating campuses.
The CDL supports multi-campus licenses by:
- Offering negotiation and licensing advice.
- Integrating the resource into CDL's collection of shared content.
- Recharging participating campuses.
- Providing assistance via the CDL Helpline.
- Handling annual renewals.
How to Manage a Tier 2 License:
- Step by Step Tier 2 Process: Outlines procedures and responsibilities for placing initial orders, ensuring proper start-up, and renewing the license.
- Document Your Tier 2 Resource: Explains how to document business arrangements with vendors so the CDL can manage renewals and maintain the contract for participating campuses.