Database Transition Principles
- To guide decisions made during the process of transitioning a database from one vendor to another.
- To maintain or raise the quality of services.
- To support outreach and instructional activities.
- It is desirable to provide as many databases under as few interfaces as possible so that the campuses can share instructional materials; for easier troubleshooting by the CDL, etc.
- Linking should be preserved and extended where possible. Specifically, this includes
- Linking to holdings in Melvyl
- Linking to full content from all publishers licensed by the CDL and the campuses via UC-eLinks.
- Linking to the Request service
- For linking to content and holdings: use of the OpenURL standard.
- For authentication: use of IP addresses or certificates rather than special accounts.
- CDL manages the systemwide access for the OCLC FirstSearch account, and also handles the administration for any FirstSearch databases licensed by individual campuses, to ensure that users on each campus have appropriate access to all FirstSearch databases, both CDL licensed and campus licensed, via a single logon, and have a consistent interface for the databases.
- We should stay abreast of initiatives and organizations (e.g, Project Counter) which might aid in influencing vendors.
Last updated: April 30, 2015