Discovery & Delivery: Job Opportunities
Be part of a team shaping the future of discovery & delivery.
Position: Discovery & Delivery Services Technical Manager
The California Digital Library’s (CDL) Discovery and Delivery team (D2D) seeks a service-oriented, innovative individual with strong management and leadership skills, and technical expertise for the position of Discovery & Delivery Services Technical Manager. The Technical Manager will lead and manage the work of 8 technical staff, in close coordination with project managers and analysts.
You are experienced working as a technical manager with vendor-hosted services as well as in-house developed solutions. You are skilled in collaborating with internal teams, external vendors, partners, and others. You thrive working on cross-team projects, system-wide initiatives, regional and national activities. You pride yourself on keeping your team current on new technology and industry trends and you are eager to sustain existing services while also identifying opportunities for creating new services based on a deep commitment to solving end user needs. You enjoy managing and coaching staff. You are skilled at aligning technical systems with strategic directions, and in forging strategic partnerships.
You want to lead work on
- Technical and collaborative solutions for students, faculty and staff
- Collaborative projects with partners such as Google, Internet Archive, the HathiTrust, Center for Research Libraries and The Western Regional Storage Trust (WEST)
- Multi-campus systems
About the position
Discovery and Delivery Services Technical Manager is responsible for maintaining current services, as well as identifying and investigating new service opportunities. Current services include Melvyl (run on OCLC's WorldCat Local platform), Request (our interlibrary loan and document delivery services), UC-eLinks (our link resolver), the Print Archives and Preservation Registry (PAPR), developed in partnership with the Center for Research Libraries, and Zephir, the metadata management service run on behalf of the HathiTrust. The Discovery and Delivery Services Technical Manager should be interested in managing a strong team, engaged in strategic thinking, and interested in supporting the University of California's mission.
We are the California Digital Library’s Discovery & Delivery Team. We're planning and building the next generation of library services even as we make our existing systems better. We need you to help us make it happen. Read more about what we do and our strategic goals for the Discovery & Delivery Team on the CDL website.
- At least 3 years experience supervising an information technology team
- At least 5 years experience managing production environments
- Demonstrated experience with technical project management, including setting/assigning and monitoring tasks and schedules, tracking costs and deliverables and status reporting.
- Demonstrated experience working with large vendors, including negotiating contracts, evaluating and enforcing service level agreements, and invoking and managing escalation procedures.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in the design, development, implementation, testing, monitoring and maintenance of complex technical solutions.
- Demonstrated interest in, and experience designing user-centric software solutions
- See the full job description for a complete list of requirements.
Get details and apply here: UCOP job website (requisition 20140449)