CDL's Service Commitment to ILL Staff
The Resource Sharing team at CDL is committed to meeting the needs of the staff of the campus ILL units.
1. Open Communication
We provide several avenues to ensure open communication.
- Sponsorship of and participation in the ILL community listserv, UCVDX-L.
- Leadership of the CDL ILL Operations Team, a CDL advisory group representing each type of ILS and the RLFs.
- Ownership of the problem reporting listserv, VDXTROUBLE-L.
- Ownership of the CDL Resource Sharing website. This contains contact information and useful tools such as how-to instructions, training documents, and recorded webinars.
- Membership in Strategic Action Group 2: Access, Discovery & Infrastructure.
- Periodic visits to campus ILL units.
2. Problem Resolution
We provide a clear set of expectations for resolution of ILL unit problems.
- We provide information about on-hours and off-hours help and support via our website.
- We provide a single point of contact for problem reporting, the listserv VDXTROUBLE-L.
- If a user reports a problem to an individual on our team, we direct them to re-post their query to VDXTROUBLE-L so the entire technical team can provide a quick and effective response.
- We provide an immediate (automatic) acknowledgement of the problem via our FootPrints tracking system.
- We evaluate each ticket and look at breadth, severity, and urgency (as identified by the customer). We'll label it high if we believe it has a major impact; low if we believe the impact is smaller in scope.
- System down - response is immediate
- High - response within 1 business hour
- Low - response within 1 business day
- We touch base with our respondents to update them of the interim status of a problem that takes time to resolve.
- We attempt to respond fully so that our respondents do not have to ask multiple questions to get their issues resolved.
- If an issue cannot be resolved after several e-mail exchanges, we call the respondent.
- We explain the technical problem and its context.
- If we determine not to resolve the problem immediately, we let the respondent know that CDL has sized the problem and where it is on the priority list. We give a realistic time frame.
- If we determine not to make the requested feature change, we have an honest conversation about the reason.
2.1 Changes in VDX
Per the February 14, 2011, letter to ILL staff only critical issues will be fixed at this point; everything else will be tracked only. A critical issue is one that does any of the following
See the entire letter
- makes unavailable a system required to do necessary work
- makes unusable a system required to do necessary work (with no workaround)
- jeopardizes the integrity of the data
- causes system instability
We provide a clear path to allow escalation for problems that are not resolved to the user's satisfaction.
- We provide a single point of contact for response through the trouble-ticketing listserv VDXTROUBLE-L.
- If users are not satisfied with the response to the trouble ticket, we encourage them to escalate their concerns to the Project Manager.
- We make available the names and email addresses of everyone in the Request team on our CDL Resource Sharing website.
4. System Maintenance
We maintain stable systems with high availability and performance.
- We schedule standard maintenance for low-use hours.
- For daily maintenance: 11:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- For large scale maintenance: 12:01 a.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday and 12:01 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Sunday.
- We carefully monitor our own (in-house) systems, both for performance and availability.
- We carefully monitor vendor performance and build relationships with the vendor to ensure our needs are well served.
- We regularly upgrade vendor software to ensure it is current.
- We keep our operating environment up to date in support of the current supportable hardware and software and to keep the systems secure.
- We continually follow new and emerging trends for both ILL software and ILL workflow processing.