- a collaborative reference linking service
- in this context CrossRef is used to discover the Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) using article metadata supplied by the participating publishers
- For more information see the CrossRef web site
- Digital Object Identifier
- stable identifier (URL)
- DOIs provide a framework for linking to electronic content (among other things)
- For more information see the Digital Object Identifier web site
- a generic term for products which support linking between databases and services such as linking to full text. SFX is a Link Resolver.
- According to the W3C metadata is machine understandable information for the web.
- In this context the information includes the author, article title, journal title, volume, issue, date, start page, etc.
- draft NISO standard which defines how to transport metadata between two systems using http
- In this context the two systems are an A&I database and UC-eLinks.
- For more information on the draft standard see the NISO AX committee web site
Terms specifically related to UC-eLinks
- The name of the SFX server managed by the CDL
- a MySQL database provided by SFX which contains e-journal and e-book information
- a journal title needs to be in this database and activated before UC-eLinks can offer the option for electronic text
- some database like Gale's Expanded Academic ASAP which contain citation records and fulltext offer two verions of linking generally refered to as inbound and outbound
- outbound links are OpenURLs associated with a citation record which are sent to a Link Resolver (UC-eLinks)
- inbound links are generated by a Link Resolver (UC-eLinks) and resolved to full text at the vendor's site
- software routines within UC-eLinks which process the OpenURL and build links (URLs) to services offered in the UC-eLinks menu window
- options which can appear in the UC-eLinks menu window
- some services are getFullTxt, getHoldings, getDocumentDelivery, getWebServices
- vendor sending OpenURLs to UC-eLinks
- at this time most of UC-eLinks sources are A&I database vendors
- vendor receiving URLs from UC-eLinks
- at this time most of UC-eLinks targets are full text providers
- Melvyl® and Request are also targets for UC-eLinks
- list of metadata which needs to be included in an OpenURL in order for a service to appear in the UC-eLinks menu
- in some cases, such as dates, a value for the metadata can also be included in the threshold
Other SFX glossary
SFX glossary developed by CARLI (2013/14)