HathiTrust Partnership Project
The HathiTrust is an inter-institutional repository of primarily mass-digitized books. The repository supports both preservation and access, with a range of access services encompassing permitted uses of books digitized by Google and full access to public domain content.
In addition to the 10 UC libraries and the CDL, partners include the libraries in the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC). The Midwest-based CIC includes Indiana University, University of Illinois, University of Illinois at Chicago, University of Iowa, University of Michigan, Michigan State University, University of Minnesota, Northwestern University, Ohio State University, Penn State University, Purdue University and University of Wisconsin-Madison. The University of Virginia has also joined the HathiTrust; other libraries participating in mass digitization initiatives may join in the future.
Because of the size and scale of the UC libraries’ mass digitization program, UC was invited to become the third lead partner in the project. UC has significant representation at all levels of HathiTrust governance. CDL coordinates UC’s participation and devotes resources to the ongoing development of access and preservation services. Working groups will be charged by the HathiTrust Strategic Advisory Board and composition will likely depend on the type of expertise needed. UC will have opportunities to lead or participate in groups focused on topics of interest.
Current services offered via the HathiTrust include:
- Brings together content digitized by Google, the OCA, and other institutions for unified full text discovery and access with a common user experience.
- Consolidated full text indexes for all content in the repository, which point to downloadable full text where available, or to local copies and Google Book Search copies.
- Page-turner application for online viewing where permitted by copyright.
- Services for print-disabled users.
- Copyright management and rights clearance.
|Laine Farley||CDL Executive Director and HathiTrust Executive Committee member|
|Heather Christenson||Project Manager|
|Lynne Cameron||Co-Technical Lead|
|Paul Fogel||Co-Technical Lead|
HathiTrust Monthly Updates.