UC Image Service News: ARTstor and CDL visit UC Campuses in October

By Lena Zentall, CDL UC Image Service Manager

Did you know that over half a million high quality digital images are currently available to UC students, faculty and staff in a searchable database?

Every UC campus (except UCSF) now has access to ARTstor, a digital library containing nearly 550,000 images in the areas of art, architecture, humanities and social sciences.  Thousands of additional images are added each month covering a wide range of cultures and time periods.

Demonstrations for faculty and library staff – 90 minutes

A demonstration highlighting the major features of ARTstor collections, tools, and services for a mixed audience of faculty and library staff is planned for all UC campuses.  This is an ideal time to get faculty and library staff from across campus and across disciplines together to talk about image use on campus.  The demonstration starts with a question period to discuss how image use is being supported currently on campus so there is some context for the ARTstor discussion. Megan Marler of ARTstor will lead the demonstration.  Lena Zentall from CDL will be available to discuss the Image Service and UC Shared Images.

Who Should Attend?

The ARTstor Digital Library is useful for librarians, educators, scholars and students in a wide variety of disciplines.  While ARTstor is an essential companion for historians of art and architecture and others engaged with the visual arts, individuals in fields as diverse as African American Studies, American Studies, Anthropology, Architecture & Architectural History, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, Design & Decorative Studies, History, Language & Literature, Literary Studies, Medieval Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, Music, Native American Studies, Photography, Religious Studies, Renaissance Studies,  Theater & Dance and Women’s Studies are also finding the digital images ARTstor offers to be relevant to their teaching and research.

Campus Visit Schedule

Berkeley Th Sep 13 3-4:30 (completed)
Davis W Oct 24 11-12:30 Library Instruction Room,
Second floor of Shields Library
Irvine W Oct 17 10:30-12 Langson Library, Room 570
Los Angeles F Oct 19 1-2:30 West Electronic Classroom,
Young Research Library
Merced T Oct 23 1-2:30 Room 260, Gonella Discovery Room,
UC Merced Library
Riverside T Oct 16 3-4:30 Arts 335 – Screening Room
San Diego M Oct 15 1-2:30 Seuss Room, Geisel Library
Santa Barbara Th Oct 18 11-12:30 UCEN Harbor Room
Santa Cruz M Oct 22 1-2:30 McHenry Library, Room 350

For more information, contact Lena Zentall, Image Service Manager (lena.zentall@ucop.edu; 510.987.9233).