New Licensed Resources: Asahi Kikuzo II; The Sixties

By Toshie Marra (UCLA) and Ellen Meltzer, CDL Information Services Manager

UC campuses now have access to these electronic resources as part of Tier 2 licenses.  (Some campuses may have already had access to these titles, or a portion of them, through previous local campus subscriptions):

Asahi Kikuzo II (Tier 2 with UCB, UCLA, UCM, UCSB, UCSC, UCSD.  On the Asahi Shimbun Co. platform from Japan)
http://uclibs.org/PID/136018

As a newspaper and magazine article database, Kikuzo II Visual contains over 5.8 million articles in full text from the following Japanese sources:
1. Asahi shinbun newspaper (1945-present): one of the most prestigious newspapers of general scope in Japan since 1879

2. AERA weekly magazine (May 1988-present): a popular weekly magazine with many graphic images since 1988

3. Shūkan Asahi weekly magazine (April 2000-present; news section only): a well-established weekly magazine since 1922

In addition, to commemorate the company’s 130th Anniversary, the Asahi Shimbun has launched the Historical Photo Archive on the web on January 26th, which offers approximately 10,000 valuable historical photographs of the period between the 1930s and 1945.  The Archive is currently accessible within Kikuzo II Visual free of charge until the end of March 2010.  The Archive contains photographs taken in Asia (Manchuria, Vietnam, Pacific Ocean Islands, etc.) and Europe (Germany, England, etc.) from the 1930s and throughout the Second World War period, and can be searched by keywords, bibliographic data, names of the places where photographs were taken, and also from a timeline.

The number of simultaneous users who can access Kikuzo II Visual is limited to 2 with this license.  If you have any questions, please contact Toshie Marra (tmarra@library.ucla.edu) who serves as Resource Liaison for Kikuzo II Visual.

The Sixties: Primary Documents and Personal Narratives, 1960 to 1974 (All campuses except Davis and UCSF; one time perpetual access from UCSC.  On the Alexander Street platform)
http://uclibs.org/PID/136017

The Sixties: Primary Documents and Personal Narratives, 1960 to 1974 documents the key events, trends, and movements in 1960s America.  Alongside 70,000 pages of letters, diaries, and oral histories, there are more than 30,000 pages of posters, broadsides, pamphlets, advertisements, and rare audio and video materials.  The collection is further enhanced by dozens of scholarly document projects, featuring richly annotated primary-source content that is analyzed and contextualized through interpretive essays by leading historians.

Freedom rides, sit-ins, the draft, the Equal Rights Amendment, Earth Day, the Free Speech Movement, the Stonewall riots, Woodstock, the Summer of Love, the Space Race…The events of the Sixties tested and defined the core values of America.  But despite our familiarity with names, dates, and basic facts, there has been no single, comprehensive resource for study in this area.  With The Sixties, researchers will now have personal accounts by the people who experienced events firsthand, searchable together with important and rare audio, video, and historical documents.

Jane Faulkner (faulkner@library.ucsb.edu) is the Resource Liaison for The Sixties.