Next Generation Melvyl Pilot Enhancements – November 8, 2009

By Ellen Meltzer, CDL Information Services Manager

Several enhancements were made to Next Generation Melvyl with OCLC’s Sunday, November 8, install
The changes include:

• Parenthetical (Boolean) support in search queries.  You can now use parentheses to create more precise searches.  A search on dog (walking OR feeding OR grooming) will return results for dog walking OR dog feeding OR dog grooming.
  • Additional custom web links.  With the approval of UC Heads of Public Services (HOPS), two additional links soon will be added for each campus in the dropdown menu under the library name (e.g., UCR Libraries).  These will link to the campus Article Database and E-journal links, among the most heavily used links in current Melvyl.
  • Improvements in treating some item types as a different item type by configuring certain tags, subfields and/or values contained in the data.
  • Improvements to “Browse similar items” in the “carousel” on the “Similar items” section of the detailed record.
  • Changes to Details section for remote database records.
  • Upon saving a search, users will now receive confirmation that their search has been saved and will see a link to their profile page to view their saved searches.

Please see the PDF (http://libraries.universityofcalifornia.edu/about/oclc_docs/20091108_Install_Update_Notice_2_.pdf) for more details.